Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Game Night #27 and August's Player of the Month Named

Glenn makes a dramatic return to game night, by nabbing the top player spot for all of August! Congratulations!

Players of Months Past: Hunter (July)
Zeb (June)
Mark M. (May)
Mark M. (April)
Kat (March)
John (February)

Attendees: Mark M., Glenn, Lana, Ethan and Joey (Zeb stopped by for a bit too)

Previous Overall Standings:
Glenn 7
Zeb 4
Hunter 1
James 1
Jarrod 0
Adam 0
Mark M. -1
Joey -1
Mark K. -3
Tanner -4
Porter -4

This Event's Standings:
Mark M. 6
Joey 3
Glenn 2
Ethan -2
Ithaqua -3
Lana -6

August's Overall Standings:
Glenn 9
Mark M. 5
Zeb 4
Joey 2
Hunter 1
James 1
Jarrod 0
Adam 0
Ethan -2
Mark K. -3
Ithaqua -3
Tanner -4
Porter -4
Lana -6

What a night! Five games played! We started off with our usual game of Pirate's Dice. It was a really strange game of Pirate's Dice. The rolls, bids and calls were all very unusual. However, little by little we whittled each other down, Lana got knocked out and Glenn and I went at each other for the win. I had two dice remaining while Glenn was down to a single die. It played out to my favor and I took the win.
Pirate's Dice Standings: Joey 2, Glenn 0, Lana -2

We then played a game that was new to Ethan and I; Quelf. This is a game that promotes hilarity, chaos and situations that would never occur under normal circumstances. Very fun! Ethan and Lana kept getting bum dice rolls, while Glenn and I rolled exceptionally. Mark M. kept getting cards that kept him from talking. He took a vow of silence to keep himself from being constantly penalized. As the game progressed toward the end, it came down to a couple of endurance rounds of coming up with unending lists of "ways to unwrap a gift" for Glenn and "film directors" for me. It was destiny. I might as well had drawn a card that read "what it's like to be Joey".
Quelf Standings: Joey 4, Glenn 1, Mark M. 1, Ethan -2, Lana -4

We then settled in to battle a Great Old One (Ithaqua) in Arkham Horror; with the Curse of the Dark Pharoah expansion. The game progressed as expected in a game of Arkham Horror. A little later on, we realized that we had sealed four gates and that we were pretty close to winning. Then the game spat once last, vile gasp at us as we sealed the sixth gate; thus banishing Ithaqua to his continued state of slumber. Sorry, I get all "adjective-y" discussing Lovecraft and Arkham Horror. It rubs off.
Arkham Horror Standings: Mark M. 3, Glenn 1, Joey -1, Ithaqua -3

With a little bit of time left, Glenn chose Hey! That's My Fish! With an average set up and quick rules explanation, we were soon hopping ice floes and gathering fish. It was a quick rush to grab the three-fish floes and then it started getting cutthroat. I thought I was pretty safe, as it seemed that Glenn and Mark M. were going after each other. Then I found myself having to make a few kill or be killed decisions. Finally, we were all left to our own floes and the fish tallies came in. Glenn had gathered an insane amount of fish.
Hey! That's My Fish! Standings: Glenn 2, Mark M. 0, Joey -2

As the last game of the night, Glenn chose For Sale. It was a very shrewed game of For Sale. I made some very rash bids int he first half of the game and it cost me later (see below). As the second round played out, I made some killer bids. I felt redeemed and assured of victory. The scores came out as a tie for first place with Mark M. winning the tie by having ONE MORE COIN than me! I shouldn't have wasted $$ on some of those early bids. Gaaaaahhh!
For Sale Standings: Mark M. 2, Joey 0, Glenn -2

August was a great month, with a lot of players gracing the tables. Thanks everyone for coming over and we'll see you in September; when it is Glenn's pick!

Images by Chris Norwood and Joey Belanger

0 comments: