Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Game Night #19

We initially had a small showing (which is expected the night before a holiday), but a few more showed up and the party ensued.

Attendees: Jose, Jarrod, Tanner, Hunter and Joey

Previous Overall Standings:
Zeb 7
Josh 6
Brandt 0
Kyle 0
Erin -1
Mark -2
Joey -2
Jarrod -4
Tanner -4

This Event's Standings:
Jarrod 2
Hunter 2
Joey 2
Tanner -3
Jose -3

July's Overall Standings:
Jarrod 2
Hunter 2
Joey 2
Tanner -3
Jose -3

It was my pick tonight and I've been buzzing about Tide of Iron. We played the "Liberation" scenario. I had played the Germans before with my son, but had not played the American side in the scenario. So as it started Jose was the Germans and I took the side of the Americans. A few seconds later, Jarrod, Tanner and Hunter arrived and with a minor amount of shuffling the sides were Jarrod and Hunter: Americans; Jose and Tanner: Germans; me: Referee/game 'splainer. The Americans rushed up to the bridge and held it. In fact for the entirety of the game there was a single light infantry unit that held the bridge among a couple of other specialized squads and/or vehicles. That was one steadfast soldier! At the bridge, the Germans tore the Americans apart. With German machine gunners in opportunity fire mode, the Americans could hardly move an inch. Then the cavalry arrived. Halfway through the scenario, the Americans received reinforcements. As the Americans finally got into position to make their move; Jarrod, Tanner and Hunter had to leave. I took over for the Americans. On my next turn, I made a massive combined attack on the last pesky machine gunner, took him out and made a mad dash for the buildings. I managed to spread out to all of the outlying buildings as the game was called. The Americans were able to save the day!
We made a few rules mistakes, but the game is new and that's bound to happen. Hunter displayed that he is a huge risk-taker.
Tide of Iron Standings: Jarrod 2, Hunter 2, Joey 2, Tanner -3, Jose -3

So next week it's my pick. See you next week!

Images by Joe Belanger

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MWChapel said...

Hey Joe,

We noticed that you deleted your BGG account? What's the info joe?

Joe Belanger said...

I was spending WAY too much time rehashing the same conversations with the same people. I was addicted to rating and rerating my games. I was looking at games from a purely statistical standpoint and it was sucking the joy out of each play.

The same thing happened when I used to play "The Sims". I was driving in my car and I really had to pee. I immediately pictured a big red bar over my head. So I went home and chucked the game CD.

I was only staying on to keep in touch with local gamers. But with RRGamers and John's Central TX meetup group I can still keep in touch. For those that want to get a hold of me directly, my email address is joebelanger at gmail dot com.

Thanks for asking.

MWChapel said...

No worries, was just wondering. I can understand the overinvolvement syndrome, dreaming of the crazy Apeman with all the coins holding the 5-6-7 cards in No Thanks! Constantly trying to trade 2 Red Beans for that fabled Cocoa Bean. The Horror! The Horror!

Well as long as you're on the RRGamers Yahoo site, that'll work.

PS. Have to get that game of Galactic Destiny going here ASAP!

Mike C. --