Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Game Night #21

Nice turnout tonight, three games played; it was my pick tonight and I was in the mood to race!

Attendees: Mark, Brent, Tanner, Zeb, Hunter and Joey

Previous Overall Standings:
Joey 3
Jarrod 2
Hunter 2
Mark -1
Tanner -3
Jose -3

This Event's Standings:
Mark 6
Brent 1
Tanner 1
Hunter -1
Joey -3
Zeb -4

July's Overall Standings:
Mark 5
Jarrod 2
Hunter 1
Brent 1
Joey 0
Tanner -2
Jose -3
Zeb -4

As people started to arrive we played a quick game of Pirate's Dice. Brent had never played before and Mark had only played when we were playing incorrectly. That being said Mark caught on to the new rules quickly. No one player dominated the game. We all had one or two dice at the end. I was eliminated first. Then Brent and Mark went at each other with one dice each.
Pirate's Dice Standings: Mark 2, Brent 0, Joey -2

After that a good sized mob was here and I hadn't played Formidable Foes in a while and it had been a long time since I'd played with more than three people. As the game progressed, Mark had a huge pile of Power Tokens and Zeb and Tanner kept passing the Dumbest Player Award back and forth (I'm not being a snot here, that is actually part of the game). When the end of the game drew near, it was a race to grab up what could be had. I was sure it was going to be close, but I thought that I had eeked out the victory. Nope, Mark squeezed by (by one point!) for the win.
Formidable Foes Standings: Mark 4, Joey 2, Tanner 0, Brent -2, Zeb -4

We had an hour or so left and I still wanted to get my race on, so I picked Mississippi Queen. Fairly standard game of Mississippi Queen: bumping, burning coal, regret, dramatic crashes, et al. I was clearly in second place as the race neared the end and I realized that I needed to do something drastic in order to win. By drastic, I mean burning all of my coal and crashing into the side of the river, one hex from the finish line... whoops. Brent managed to plan a little better and swooped in for the victory with Tanner finishing right behind him. Hunter was picking up his last Belle at the time and was wondering what all of the ruckus was down-river.
Mississippi Queen's Standings: Brent 3, Tanner 1, Hunter -1, Joey -3

With a enormous lead in the standings, it is Mark's pick next week. See you there!

Images by Jorg Kuck, Chris Norwood and Joey Belanger

0 comments: